Thursday, August 23, 2012

I Did Not Major in Spirit Fingers

Once upon a time, I worked as a cashier in a grocery store. This grocery store was located in a part of the country known for its hospitality and somewhat fake niceties and the store reflected this. This meant I had to talk to people and act nice. Definitely not me.

For the most part, I enjoyed working at the store. I hated my uniform, which they have recently changed to something more attractive than the blue elastic-banded mom pants, white-collared shirt, and teal vest I had to wear. But I actually liked the variety of people we had come in.

I once carded an NFL player who didn't have his ID. I had no idea who he was, but my store manager came up front to vouch for him. My employees had a good laugh about that for a week.

Another time a lady complained about the girl in the aisle who misinformed her about a special. She, however, did not realize that the cashier girl was the same girl.

But then there was this lady. She and her guy were probably mid- to late-twenties. Somehow we got on the subject of what my college plans were. The conversation went a bit like this:

Lady: "Where are you going to school?"
Me: "Brigham Young University."
Lady: "They have a school named that?"
Me: "Yeah, it's in Utah."
Lady: "Huh. I thought that was just the name of that movie." Walks away.

Just to clarify, I did not attend Bring It On University.

3 comments:

tash said...

hahaha oh geez. I choked I was laughing so hard when I read this post. You my friend are fantastic.

Andrea said...

Hahahahaaa... how long did it take you to figure out she thought it was Bring it On? Wow. Also, I could not recognize a single NFL player- former or current. Who could? Don't they wear helmets??

M.E. said...

@Tasha - Sorry to almost kill you. That was not the intention of this post, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

@Andrea - I want to say that I figured it out almost instantly and told my bagger, but the woman was already out the door. And with the NFL player, he was a bit of a diva about it. We were required to card anyone who looked under 40 (and he was a black man, so he hid his age very well). He said, "Go get your manager. We were just talking in the back. He can tell you." My manager just came up and laughed at me. If he was wearing a helmet, that would have given him away...as a lunatic.