Monday, April 30, 2012

The times, they are a changin'

Once upon a time, there was a world before Facebook. In this world, you called people to find out what was happening in their lives, know when to meet them for dinner, and know where they were moving. They contacted you personally when they were in a relationship or got engaged. Baby announcements were actual mailed announcements and not updates on the mother's bodily functions. (So, you're xx cm dilated...TMI. T.M.I.) And your real friends wished you a happy birthday without a reminder glaring at them from a computer screen because they remember your birthday on their own. (And you didn't receive random, meaningless happy birthday greetings from people you barely know.)

How times have changed.

I shouldn't complain because Facebook is a somewhat of a blessing for people like me who are terrible at keeping in touch, but there are many negative aspects to it that I don't like. Mainly, how impersonal it all is. Sometimes people seem robotic, doing things without really thinking about it. "Oh, this video's trending; I'll repost it so I'm not left out." "Or this person just had something good happen. I should give them the standard 'congratulations.'" It's not, "Oh, I should call them." Or, "Maybe I should face my problems instead of Facebooking them."

We're becoming such a distant people, interacting virtually rather than personally. Because it's easier. Well, this is part of the reason our world is such a mess. We're forgetting how hard things really are because everything else is easy. Relationships of all kind take work. They take time, patience and nurturing. And no amount of Facebook stalking will give you a true relationship. That's the truth. You know it. And I know it.

So what are we going to do about it?

No comments: