Tuesday, October 30, 2012

My Superhero Niece

Most people love babies. Me? Not so much. I like kids when they’re older, more like three or four. Why? Because that’s when it’s fun. That’s when I can be more myself—my teasing and sarcastic self.

Some people might say that that’s mean, but I view it as treating the kid more like an adult. I treat them how I do most other people. My sisters probably don’t appreciate me teaching their children teasing and sarcasm at such a young age, but they’re going to learn sooner or later. And I’d rather them learn it from me. I’m pretty dang good at it.

I recently experienced a pure joy in teasing children. I’ve been an aunt for 13 years but only just experienced this situation (that I can remember). And I loved it.

I was talking to my niece, who was nearly seven at the time, about going to an amusement park. She explained to me that my family decided not to go to the park because it was raining.

Me: “Why didn’t you just make it stop?”
Niece: “Well, I lost my power.”
Me: “Your power? Your power to stop the rain?”
Niece: “Yeah, I lost it.”
Me: “Well, you’d better find it quick!”
Niece: “I did. I got it back.”
Me: “Oh, good. So, you’re not going to let it rain tomorrow?”
Niece: “Yeah. It rained a little today. I let it rain a little today, but it won’t rain tomorrow.”

Apparently my niece is Storm. Awesome.

No comments: